We take great pride in our selection procedures, ensuring that we select only candidates of the highest calibre. However, this process only measures you at a single point in time. Things move quickly in education and all candidates have to keep pace with progress to ensure that their skills and knowledge are kept up to date.
This is why continuous professional development (CPD) is important for all our candidates as it:
- Keeps you up-to-date with the latest techniques and thinking.
- Prepares you for the new challenges you will face in the classroom.
- Will make you more marketable – a candidate who pays attention to their CPD is likely to be in high demand.
- There are certain CPD opportunities we provide for candidates but it is important to remember that these should only be a part of your CPD activity. As well as providing certain opportunities for you we also encourage you to seek other learning opportunities. Principal Resourcing provide lots of CPD opportunities some of which are a mandatory part of expectations. Workshops are mainly delivered during school holidays or an evening and some are free of charge to registered candidates.
- Online safeguarding certificate – Mandatory for all newly registered candidates and a useful refresher too.
- Induction and safeguarding training – Hints and tips for those new to supply. How to make sure a school asks you back.
- Safer recruitment – Covers extremely important issues regarding safeguarding and child protection.
- How to be an effective supply teachers/ support worker.
- Classroom management/cover practitioner.
- Becoming a cover supervisor.
- Introduction to supply for NQT’s.
- Secondary to primary teaching induction.
- Exam Invigilator training.
- Further classroom practices.
You will be alerted by email or text message of such opportunities as they arise. You will also receive regular newsletters with reminders and the latest in education and Principal news.
Opportunities in Schools
When you are working in a school on a day-to-day basis the opportunities for the CPD are somewhat limited. However, if you are in a long-term placement there are likely to be opportunities for you to be involved in INSET days – if fact there might be an expectation that you should be involved.
Please take the opportunity should it arise – such opportunities are very valuable because they provide you with:
A chance to work with your colleagues and to feel part of the team
An opportunity to develop new skills and knowledge that will be relevant and transferable.
A chance to apply practice that is common and consistent to that particular school There might also be learning opportunities for you by undertaking different types of assignments in different types of schools.
Talk to your local consultant about the possibility of working in settings and environments that perhaps you have never considered before.